HELPFUL TIPS TO GET YOUR READY FOR THE SCHOOL YEAR...
Make Life Easier!
- Pack lunches the night before and refrigerate!
- Make sure backpacks are packed and ready to go the night before.
- Create a homework center. Stock with extra crayons and supplies needed to complete homework. Make sure it’s not near a TV.
- Lay out clothes the night before.
- Remember kids need to make as many decisions as possible. Avoid power struggles by letting them make small decisions.
- Create a special hamper in the laundry room for uniforms and other rush items.
- Fold T-shirts so that the design is recognizable without unfolding.
- Each evening have a 30-minute family clean up time to get everything back in place.
Back To School Shopping!
- Buy smaller glue and crayons. Space is limited and teachers stress children sometimes lose these items easily.
- Remember school dress rules when buying clothing. Some schools have rules about the verbiage appearing on t-shirts.
- Don’t buy plastic scissors for your school aged children as they just don’t perform up to standards.
- Consider the Velcro straps for books as some schools require backpacks be stored upon arrival at school.
- Buy socks that are all the same for easy matching at laundry time.
- Again when possible let kids choose their own items or at least the color or design.
- Buy a good backpack and lunch box as these are probably the most abused. Save on the trendy stuff.
- Make sure you buy a lunch box or backpack that your small child can open easily.
- When buying shoes buy extra shoe-strings and polish if necessary.
- If you have trouble telling your kid’s socks and underwear apart; Buy different brands as they usually have a different colored stripe, or band on them.
Getting Psyched For Back To School!
- Before school starts, begin going to bed and getting up on a school schedule.
- The weekend before school starts: Don’t make any stressful plans for big events or trips.
- Don’t forget to check out that bus schedule!
- Call your school or organization and get the facts about fall sports teams and social clubs. Don’t be late or miss something!
- Make sure to get all immunizations and physicals completed.
- Make a master list of Mom and Dads phone numbers along with doctors and emergency numbers. You are sure to need these several times.
- If you have medical concerns make sure to meet with the school nurse prior to the first day, especially if medicine must be given at school.
- Get a couple of rolls of quarters and dimes. Put them in the cabinet so you don’t have to hunt for change at the last minute.
- Make a check list of items easily forgotten at the last minute and hang it in an obvious place.
- Put up several hooks for backpacks, jackets, and lunch boxes. Don’t hang them too high!
- Make up some freezable lunch and breakfast items for those crazy days. Thaw and nuke!
- Label, Label, Label; All items that will be taken to school or worn and taken off at school!
- Make a list of rules and adjustments for school days: Homework schedule, TV schedule, bath time, bed time etc…
- Make sure to arrange after school daycare!
- Try to set up a time to meet the teacher; some schools provide this occasion.
- Go over school rules with your child.
- Make a calendar to place in a visible spot; fill in events and school vacation days.
- Make a special box for your children to place forms from school that need special attention.